The Long Island Rail Road 1925 - 1975
click image for larger size
Here's a sample of what's in store....
“Fancy-Schmancy” is a phrase that well describes the white or bright
silver-painted smokebox with black door on Pennsy-leased K4s “Pacific”
class #5406 as she pulls Sunday-only train #4229 from Yaphank, NY
westbound past “B” interlocking tower at Bethpage Junction, Bethpage
in May, 1947. (George E. Votava photo)
G5s #25 is pulling westbound train #4227 from Central Islip State
Hospital approaching the Long Island Motor Parkway overpass at
Bethpage, NY in June of 1949. In the foreground can be seen the
popular wooden diamond crossing sign. Also visible is the “outhouse”
which represented the “facilities” for the crossing watchman. A closer
look reveals the “crescent moon” cut into the side of the structure!
(George E. Votava photo)
The pair of “Budd cars” is in “Scoot” service, laying up on the north
siding at Patchogue in this scene from 4/6/63, just one month before
the entire depot area was torn down for newer facilities. At the
right are the old white-posted electric platform lamps. Beyond
them is the old baggage house, and beyond it, “PD” tower, the only
survivor of the onslaught of May, 1963. (William Lichtenstern
in its 4th printing!
LIRR 1925 - 1975